Mazda reveals EV plans

Mazda has announced that it will launch its first EVs in 2020, with one pure-EV and one range-extender model at the company's electric vanguard.

The range-extender model will see the return of the rotary engine to Mazda's books, and will be available with a range of applications.

It's small size and quiet running mean it should be well suited to top up the Mazda EV's battery on the move. The Japanese firm has also designed it to be compatible with gaseous fuels, meaning it could burn LPG too.

Coming in as part of Mazda's Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 long-term plan, no details on the forthcoming EVs have been announced. Whether these are compact, family sized, SUV, or sports car-based models has not been revealed.

Mazda expects that internal combustion engines with some form of electrification will account for 95% of vehicles it produces in 2030 - with pure-electrics accounting for the remaining 5%.

Find out more about electric cars

Chris Lilly

Author:Chris Lilly
Date Updated:2nd Oct 2018

Related news